A regular meeting of the New Underwood City Council was held at 6:00 p.m. at the Community Center on May 17, 2017. Present were: Mayor Jack Trullinger, Councilmembers: Teresa Gossard, Larry Graham, Karin Shoemaker, and Kathy Trullinger. Also present: Meri Jo Anderson, Finance Officer, Asst. Finance Officer Kristi Pritzkau, Dir. of Public Works Tim Hall, Deputy Jones, and Dianne Trullinger. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Trullinger.
Motion by Graham second by Shoemaker to approve the agenda. Aye: all. Motion carried.
Moved by K. Trullinger second by Shoemaker to approve the May 3, 2017 minutes as presented. Aye: all. Motion carried.
- Lift station pump’s wiring is completed.
- The dump is closed this weekend, due to the wet roads.
- Riley Shull will start June 1st as summer help.
- The pool staff and public works are replacing the caulk at the pool. Water is left in the pool during the winter due to ground heaving.
DENR WATER CERTIFICATE
Mayor Trullinger presented a certificate to Mr. Hall from DENR recognizing his achievement of meeting all state requirements for safe drinking water and has supplied safe drinking water to the public he serves.
Councilor Shoemaker requested the Council consider using some of the park monies they have for the phase two project at the park (five foot sidewalks on the sides and down the middle of the park) be used to help improve the tennis court at the school. A lengthy discussion followed which included: matching what the school will put in the project; donation limits; rumor of tennis court becoming a parking lot; legalities of city doing this; sealer, lines, hoops; making basketball court at the park. She will continue to find out more information to the questions the council had and report back to the council with a clearer request for them.
ORDINANCE NUMBER 17-03
Traffic Control ordinance number 17-03 received its first reading. Councilor Gossard felt that the section dealing with horses and mules should be removed. After some debate it was moved by K. Trullinger second by Shoemaker to approve the first reading of Ordinance Number 17-03 with the horses and mules section removed. Aye: all. Motion carried.
BP#17-07; Rob Schmidt; 217 S. “A” Ave; shed & fence
BP#17-08; Darlene Miles; 508 S. “B” Ave; deck & ramp
Motion by Gossard second by Shoemaker to approve these permits. Aye: all. Motion carried.
BP#17-09; Jeremy Spaan; 205 S. “C” Ave; storage shed
Moved by Gossard second by Graham to approve this permit pending payment. Aye: all. Motion carried.
OTHER ITEMS DISCUSSED:
- The Finance Officer presented the governmental funds sheets.
- The Council would like to find out who is tearing around town in the early morning hours.
- The Mayor will be attending the hearing that DOT is holding May 25, 2017 in Pierre on the speed limit going over the viaduct to the north.
- Bringing back the east stop sign on the corner of 1416 and 161st St.
- The Finance Officer reported on the code enforcement workshop and the progress of getting code enforcement officers throughout the state to help each small community with their code enforcement issues.
- Mowing complaints and dog barking issues.
- Reducing the speed limit exiting the City to the west along 1416.
Being no further business Mayor Trullinger adjourned the meeting at 7:06 p.m.
(Seal) Meri Jo Anderson, Finance Officer