A regular meeting of the New Underwood City Council was held at 4:35 p.m. at the Community Center on April 19, 2017. Present were: Mayor Jack Trullinger, Councilmembers: Teresa Gossard, Larry Graham, Karin Shoemaker, and Kathy Trullinger. Also present: Meri Jo Anderson, Finance Officer, Dir. of Public Works Tim Hall. Arriving later was Deputy Jones and Clerk Wolf. The meeting was called to order by Mayor Trullinger.
Motion by K. Trullinger second by Gossard to go into executive session at 4:35 p.m. as per SDCL 1-25-2 (1) Interviewing prospective Assistant Finance Officers. Aye: all. Motion carried.
The Mayor adjourned the executive session at 6:05 p.m. and reconvened to regular session.
Motion by Graham second by Gossard to approve the agenda. Aye: all. Motion carried.
Moved by K. Trullinger second by Gossard to approve the April 4, 2017 meeting and April 12,2017 Canvass minutes as presented. Aye: all. Motion carried.
- Mr. Hall has passed the testing and is now a certified swimming pool operator.
- DENR inspection report on the restricted use site (dump) was presented to the Council.
- EZ street has been delivered.
- They are minimizing the garbage route where possible to decrease garbage truck traffic on some sections of the streets to avoid breakage of the street surface.
- The lagoon smell persists as a problem due to the varying temperatures this spring. The public works staff is trying less expensive ways to aerate the lagoon, but will continue to look for aerators.
- The Staff & Council will continue to look for affordable pay loaders, to help make the workers time more effective & efficient. (Adding this to the budget was also discussed.)
ORDINANCE NUMBER 17-02
Ordinance Number 17-02 amending the Mobile Home Park Ordinance received its second reading. (***Note: underlines are additions, strikethroughs are deletions)
13. The mobile home must be at least ten feet wide fourteen feet wide and seventy feet in length; finished quality siding (wood, vinyl, metal – no plywood or OSB); have a peaked roof (does not have to be a factory installed peaked roof)
14. The City Council reserves the right to inspect or see photographs of the home to be placed to ensure the conditions.
15. The Mobile/Manufactured Home – Move In Checklist is incorporated into this ordinance and a member of the Common Council will inspect each mobile home prior to the building permit (move on permit) going before the City Council. The non-refundable fee for this inspection checklist is $50.00 on top of the building permit fee.
16. All exits in this mobile home must have stairs within 30 days of placement.
Motion by Graham second by K. Trullinger to approve the second reading of Ordinance Number 17-02. Roll call vote. Aye: Gossard, Graham, Shoemaker, and K. Trullinger. Nay: none. Motion carried.
Consideration of Abatement; Watkin J. Vanneman; 16000 Hwy 1416; error when placed on tax roll not as a rural service district.
Motion by Graham second by Gossard to approve the abatement as recommended by the City & the County and authorize the finance officer’s signature on this abatement. Aye: all. Motion carried.
COMMUNITY CENTER CLEANING
Miracle Workers are going to deep clean the community center next week. A check list will be prepared for the cleaners to fill out and turned in to City Hall weekly or after each event. Mouse traps and poison will be placed in and around the Community Center.
OTHER ITEMS DISCUSSED:
- The Finance Officer presented the governmental funds sheets & yearly comparisons.
- SD Code Enforcement workshop is in Pierre May 9 & 10 and the Finance Officer will be attending.
- Mayor Trullinger informed the Council that Mr. Westergaard, with BangsMcCullen law firm is interested in being the City Attorney.
- Clean Up Weekend is April 22 & 23.
- Pet Clinic is April 22.
Motion by Graham second by Shoemaker to go into executive session at 6:56 p.m. as per SDCL 1-25-2 (1) Competence of prospective employee. Aye: all. Motion carried.
The Mayor adjourned the executive session at 7:30 p.m. and reconvened to regular session.
ASSISTANT FINANCE OFFICER
Motion by Gossard second by K. Trullinger to offer the position of assistant finance officer to Kristi Pritzkau pending background check and physical. Roll call vote. Aye: Gossard, Graham, Shoemaker, and K. Trullinger. Nay: none. Motion carried.
Being no further business the Mayor adjourned the meeting at 7:35. p.m.
(seal) Meri Jo Anderson, Finance Officer